The School of Performance, Visualization & Fine Arts requires all students to have a personal laptop. This laptop is required to perform classroom activities based on the courses taken.
Personal Laptop Hardware Requirements
The Office of IT maintains a list of recommended hardware specifications for each major in the School of Performance, Visualization & Fine Arts. We highly recommend purchasing a laptop that meets these specifications.
Congratulations new Aggies! We’re excited for your new journey ahead of you. To help in your success, the College or Architecture has put together a list of generic requirements for your laptop. Because there are so many models and possible configurations of laptops in the market today, we are only able to make minimum hardware recommendations for your laptop at the moment. As a note, finding these specs in “business” or “workstation” class computers will be easier than in “consumer” level laptops.
Minimum Hardware Requirements for all School of Performance, Visualization & Fine Arts students:
- Intel i7 processor 9th generation or higher (This is the brain of the computer. The faster the speed, the faster it can process data/projects.)
- 16 – 32 GB of RAM or more (The RAM is the computers “working” memory. RAM allows a computer to work with more information at the same time, which usually has a dramatic effect on total system performance. The more RAM a computer has, the more efficient it will be while running large programs such as AutoCAD for projects.)
- Minimum 512 GB storage (preferred 1 TB) Solid State Drive (SSD) or more (the more storage a computer has, the more projects, documents, etc. you can store. SSD storage will allow a computer to turn on and open projects significantly faster than traditional HDD storage but tends to be more expensive.)
- Graphics Card GTX 1650 or Quadro T1000 equivalent or better.
- Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 or better (A higher resolution will allow projects to fit on the screen more effectively.)
- Webcams are strongly recommended, per the University BYOD guidelines.
In addition to the computer requirements for all School of Performance, Visualization & Fine Arts students, visualization have some additional required specifications for the laptop computer to meet the need of the core courses.
Vendor Hardware Discounts
Various computer hardware vendors offer academic discounts to students of institutions of higher education:
12th Man Technology
12th Man Technology is the official technology store of Texas A&M University, located conveniently on campus in the MSC. It is Aggie-owned, and a portion of each sale is returned to Texas A&M to be reinvested in student services.
What can you expect when purchasing from 12th Man Technology?
- Exclusive protection plans designed for the college student, including some with theft protection
- Certified technicians for repairs and service
- Students checking in a device for repair that was purchased at 12th Man Technology receive:
- FREE Loaner during repair (terms apply, see associate for details)
- Priority Service
Personal Laptop Support
Help Desk Central
The Texas A&M Division of IT Help Desk can provide hardware/software support.